Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's a gusher!

The Academy Award nominations were announced this morning, and don't look now, but Paul Thomas Anderson has been nominated for Best Director. Adapted Screenplay, too, and There Will Be Blood ended up with eight nominations...as did my other favorite movie this year, No Country for Old Men. I still haven't gotten around to seeing either Atonement or Juno, and Michael Clayton won't be released on DVD for a few more weeks. But I might actually get to see all the Best Picture nominees before the awards are given out. This hasn't happened since...ever. It's never happened. I managed four out of five many times: 2005, 2004, 2003, and 2001. But when I loudly yell that There Will Be Blood is the deserving winner, it'd be nice to know what I'm talking about.

Also cool: Phillip Seymour Hoffman nominated for Charlie Wilson's War.

Not cool: Jonny Greenwood failing to get a nomination for his incredible There Will Be Blood score. I guess the Academy voters aren't big Radiohead fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment