Friday, May 04, 2007

Kick at the Darkness 'til It Bleeds Daylight: The Demon Days Soundtrack, Vol. 2

So I haven't written a Hunter recap in ages -- since I took that second job, as a matter of fact. I may or may not get back into that habit; if there's sufficient demand, I might make a stab at it.

But obviously the game continues, as we've just begun our third season. Things are looking up -- entertainment-wise, that is, not for the characters: Edgar's blind, Sunday's been kidnapped, and when we left off everyone (but Dean) was covered in rubble and stuck about half a mile underneath the city's subway tunnels. But it's all good. 'Specially when we get to rescuing Sunday. Bwhahahaha!

Erm. Excuse me. Anyway, as the game continues, so do the soundtracks, as this becomes one of the few games to last long enough to gain a second disc of songs. Same exercise as last time: each of the "star characters" -- the six Hunters -- gets two songs a piece. Sunday and the Evil Mage Brothers, Charlie and Rico, each get a song. And the album is bookended with main chronicle themes; like volume 1, one song is about violence and despair, the other about hope in the face of darkness.

And as with last time, I've allocated two songs to represent the Hunter group as a whole, but a slight change here. Last time I picked two songs that were about personal trauma and standing up in the face of adversity -- somewhat generic. But this group is anything but generic. They're an absolute menace to the city's supernaturals, a six-part wrecking crew that has ashed something like 65 vampires...so far. They're indestructible, they're unstoppable...when they can stop bitching at each other long enough to get something done. I mean, there are people in the group (no names mentioned, Dean) who truly despise other members of the group (again, no names mentioned, Willem and Dan). On the other hand, there is some camaraderie here -- Willem and Dan get along fine, Edgar is generally liked by the group as a whole, and, of course, there are the soon-to-be-wed Dean and Lucy. So the first group song is about anger, wrath, violence, and betrayal. The second song is a more fitting theme song for a group of terrifying badasses (and props to Trevor Hoffman and the San Diego Padres for the inspiration).

Without further ado: the tracks.

1. Main Theme 1: "The Noose," The Offspring
Well, the tracers from yesteryear are burning in the dust
Your bruises are reminders of naivete and trust
You're only feeling stronger cause your body's getting numb
Now I lay you down, put the coins in your eyes
And blow the candles out

The noose is falling and all my friends are crawling
The noose is falling and enemies are rising
A truth appalling, our maker comes a calling
The noose is falling and enemies are rising

2. Lucy: "Lovers in a Dangerous Time," Barenaked Ladies
One minute you're waiting for the sky to fall
And next you're dazzled by the beauty of it all

3. Simon: "Life Wasted," Pearl Jam
I escaped it, a life wasted
And I'm never going back again

4. Dean: "The Man in Me," Bob Dylan
Storm clouds are raging all around my door
I think to myself I might not take it anymore

5. Willem: "Carry Me Home," The Living End
Freedom's just another drink, don't leave me hanging dry

6. Dan: "Jimi Thing," Dave Matthews Band
I'm on my back, staring up at the ceiling
I take a drink, sit back, and relax
Smoke my mind, makes me feel better for a small time

7. Edgar: "Angels of the Silences," Counting Crows
All my sins...I said that I would pay for them

8. Whole Group 1: "Crawl Away," Tool
What you want and what you need
Don't mean that much to me
I can see your back is turning
If I could, I'd stick a knife in
This is love
This is my love for you

9. Willem: "Jackass," Green Day
To know you is to hate you
So loving you must be like suicide
I don't mind if you don't mind
I'm not the one that's going to die

10. Simon: "The Seeker," The Who
Learned how to raise my voice in anger
But look at my face, ain't this a smile?
I'm happy when life's good, and when it's bad, I cry
I got values, but I don't know how or why

11. Edgar: "Falling to Pieces," Faith No More
No one listens, because I'm somewhere in between
My love and my agony
You see, I'm somewhere in between
My life is falling to pieces -- somebody put me together

12. Dean: "Everlong," Foo Fighters
And I wonder, when I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

13. Lucy: "Until It Sleeps," Metallica
Where do I take this pain of mine?
I run, but it stays right by my side
So tear me open and pour me out
There's things inside that scream and shout
And the pain still hates me
So hold me until it sleeps

14. Dan: "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)," Kenny Rogers & the New Edition
I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole
And then I followed it in
I watched myself crawling out as I was crawling in
I got up so tight I couldn't unwind
I saw so much I broke my mind

15. Whole Group 2: "Hells Bells," AC/DC
I won't take no prisoners, won't spare no lives
Nobody's putting up a fight

16. Sunday: "Haunted," Poe
Come here -- pretty please?
Can you tell me where I am?
You -- won't you say something?
I need to get my bearings
I'm lost, and the shadows keep on changing

17. Charlie and Rico: "Sweet Sacrifice," Evanescence
You poor, sweet innocent thing
Dry your eyes and testify
And oh, you love to hate me, don't you, honey?

18. Main Theme 2: "Don't Panic," Coldplay
Bones, sinking like stones
All that we fought for
And homes, places we've grown
All of us are done for

But we live in a beautiful world
Yeah, we do, yeah, we do
We live in a beautiful world

Oh, all that I know
There's nothing here to run from,
Cause, yeah, everybody here's got somebody to lean on

No comments:

Post a Comment