Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Gorged

So I picked up The Gorge, the latest Dave Matthews Band live set. Robert asked me, "Don't you have already have a Dave Matthews live album?"

To which I answered, "Yes. Actually, I have two live CDs. And two live DVDs."

The obvious response to that, of course, is "Why do you need this one?" but really, there's little appeal in this set for someone who doesn't already have everything. Because unlike most DMB live sets, this isn't a complete concert, but a compilation of tracks recorded over a three-day weekend in Washington state. While not as engrossing on the whole as the Central Park concert, or as interesting as the Dave & Tim Reynolds acoustic discs, it manages to perfectly fill the holes in my DMB live discography -- here, finally, "The Song That Jane Likes" and "Drive In, Drive Out" and "Proudest Monkey" and "Seek Up" and "Halloween" and an epic 17-minute version of "Lie in Our Graves." Plus Dave solo on "Gravedigger" and a version of "Kit Kat Jam" with lyrics. There's the obvious stuff, too: "The Space Between," "Ants Marching," "Warehouse." If you're already a Dave nut with a few live sets purchased, buy this. If not, I'd start with the Central Park concert.

Oh, and talk about a game right up my alley: Evil Genius. Aw yeah.

And obviously, when I said Chris Kattan was in Taxi, I meant Jimmy Fallon. I get those loser SNL guys mixed up sometimes. Either way, the movie will suck.

and all the captain's cards are kings

No comments:

Post a Comment