Thursday, October 22, 2009

An Album That Might Reach Through Your Speakers and Peel Your Face Off

Even though I put the Foo Fighters' second record at number 80 in my 100 albums list, I actually don't like the band all that much. The Colour and the Shape was their peak, and despite a few bright spots since -- "Stacked Actors," "The Pretender," that cover of "Darling Nikki" -- it's been a pretty mediocre bunch of albums since. Why is that? Well, the fact is that Dave Grohl is not that great a songwriter. He is, however, one of the greatest drummers ever to walk the planet, which is why this news has me so excited.

Check it out: Them Crooked Vultures, a new Supergroup band consisting of Grohl on drums where he belongs; Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age on guitar; and on bass -- no joke -- John Paul Jones. Yes, Led Fucking Zeppelin John Paul Jones. Sweet fancy Moses.

Queens of the Stone Age is great all over -- Songs for the Deaf, in fact, is featured in my next Musical Canon installment. But John Paul Freaking Jones? Is it actually legal to keep this much awesome in one place without a permit from Homeland Security or something? I've been trying to come up with a way this band could be more cool for about twenty minutes now, but I can't do it.

The album is called simply Them Crooked Vultures, and it will be released November 17. I don't have a single or a video to play you, so I leave you only with the tracklist:
  1. No One Loves Me & Neither Do I
  2. Mind Eraser, No Chaser
  3. New Fang
  4. Dead End Friends
  5. Elephants
  6. Scumbag Blues
  7. Bandoliers
  8. Reptiles
  9. Interlude with Ludes
  10. Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up
  11. Caligulove
  12. Gunman
  13. Spinning in Daffodils

No comments:

Post a Comment