Saturday, June 30, 2007

Also, I know perfectly well that putting a steak on a black eye doesn't do anything

The Tragically Hip rarely play one of their best songs, "38 Years Old," in concert. The reason is simple: it's about a young man who escapes from prison and hides with his family. Gordie wrote the song in first person from the perspective of the man's little brother, and used the name of his real older brother as the convict's name. So everyone assumed that it was a true story, and his family started getting harassed, so they pretty much stopped playing the song.

It's a fact of writing anything that people assume everything is true, or at least based on truth, no matter how you write it. So, with that in mind, I give you this disclaimer -- Patrick's long, angry tirade against marching band in the brand-new episode of That's When I Reach for My Revolver, is not how I personally feel. Not anymore. Ten years ago, maybe. But not anymore.

How about that subtle advertisement, huh?

Also, those who've heard me talk about this episode while I've been writing it might notice the title -- "Tougher Than It Is" -- is not the original one. This is actually the normal way it goes -- my titles change about five times during the writing of an episode. This is the one that stuck.

I ask you nicely to read the episode, and tell everyone you know -- yeah, everyone, and even find some random strangers and tell them, too -- to do the same. And then, when you're done, you can watch the opening scene from Angela's favorite movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment