Thursday, September 23, 2004

Buy. This. Album. NOW.

Green Day's American Idiot: *****. The best album I've heard all year, the best album Green Day's ever recorded. And, if you can believe it, it's actually a friggin' rock opera, like Pink Floyd or the Who, only twisted through punk rock and spat back out through Billie Joe Armstrong's snot-nosed vocals and snarling three-chord guitar riffs. For those not familiar with rock opera, or those who don't believe me -- the songs all tie together, both musically and thematically, with characters (Jesus of Suburbia is the main character, with St. Jimmy and Whatsername as support) and a storyline and character development and stuff. There are even two songs (perhaps "suites" would be a better term) that break the nine-minute mark. Yes, these are the same guys who released an album titled Dookie. And released a video showing a friend get a tooth pulled out in extreme close-up. This is a perfect, beautiful marriage of punk rock and art rock. It's not pretentious or stupid -- it's an incredible record.

This is instantly one of my favorite albums. I read a review in which the critic declared it "the greatest album I've ever heard in my entire life." I'm not going that far, but it's definitely a must-have. Go get it. Now. Go!


I'm the son of rage and love
the Jesus of Suburbia

from the bible of "none of the above"

No comments:

Post a Comment