Monday, December 10, 2007

The Reasons We're Not Dead: The Demon Days Soundtrack, Vol. 4 (Lucy's Playlist)

Here we are: the last soundtrack for our Hunter game. This one is a little different: it's posited as a playlist Lucy put together on her iPod -- suitable background music for writing her handwritten memoir, The End of the World. So these songs represent the characters as she sees them. Too high-concept?

There's only one song per character this time around, with six overall themes to fill things out.

1. "Outsiders," Franz Ferdinand
Hell knows we ride alone

2. "Us," Regina Spektor
They'll name a city after us
And later say it's all our fault


3. "Burning Down the House," Talking Heads

Hold tight -- we're in for nasty weather

4. "Signal to Noise," Peter Gabriel [Dean's Theme]
In this place, can you reassure me
With a touch, a smile while the cradle's burning?
And all the while, the world is turning to noise

5. "Keep the Car Running," Arcade Fire [Lucy's Theme]
There's a fear I keep so deep
Knew its name since before I could speak


6. "Section 22 [Running Away]," The Polyphonic Spree [Laura's Theme]
I feel so excited and collided today
'Cause you decided to be in my life
It's like running away with the wind in my face
It's like flying


7. "What You Live By," Harvey Danger [Simon's Theme]
We can talk about the lives we've lead
Count the reasons we're not dead
Or maybe we could talk instead
About the ways in which we are
Always nothing or too much to say
Only so many sides of the record to play
And the song that got stuck in my head
Said, "You die by what you live by"


8. "They Never Got You," Spoon [Sunday's Theme]
Back in that place where you could fall
Did it pay to play along?


9. "Thief," Our Lady Peace [Evets's Theme]
I can't see the thief that lives inside of your head
But I can be some courage at the side of your bed


10. "Surf Wax America," Weezer [Dan's Theme]
You take your car to work, I'll take my board

11. "Black Swan," Thom Yorke [Caitlin's Theme]
People get crushed like biscuit crumbs
And lay down in the bitumen
You have tried your best to please everyone
But it just isn't happening
No, it just isn't happening
And that is fucked up


12. "Alcohol," Barenaked Ladies [Willem's Theme]
I thought that alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do
I thought drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self-control
And self-abuse


13. "Wipe That Smile Off Your Face," Our Lady Peace [The Queen's Theme]
See, I'm not your friend
And I won't pretend
That I've come here for peace
Well, I'm not afraid
I'm gonna make you pay
I'm gonna wipe that smile off your face
This is war


14. "The Reflecting God," Marilyn Manson [Mozart's Theme]
I went to God, just to see
And I was looking at me, yeah
Saw heaven and hell were lies
When I'm God, everyone dies


15. "Truth Hits Everybody," The Police
The only certain thing in life is death

16. "Tentative," System of a Down
No one's gonna save us now
Not even God


17. "Land of Confusion," Genesis
This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them, and let's start trying
To make it a place worth fighting for

No comments:

Post a Comment