Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekly iPod Shuffle: 8/12/07

1. "Lip Service," Elvis Costello
One of my favorite Costello tunes. The first line of the chorus -- "Lips service is all you ever get from me" -- actually shows up in an earlier song, "Cheap Reward." And if you haven't heard any Elvis Costello, I don't know what you've been doing with your life.

2. "I Wanna Be Sedated," The Ramones
Hey, Stephen King -- I'm starting to dig the Ramones. Happy now? I shouldn't like this song; I mean, it's really kinda stupid if you stop and think about it. Which, I see now, you're not supposed to do.

3. "Across the Universe," The Beatles
This is from Let It Be...Naked, the 2003 remastering that deleted most of Phil Spector's dubious contribution to Let It Be. And it's the better version, and Paul's restored it to its original tempo and got rid of all the strings (that's Phil Spector's solution for everything, really: more strings). Of course, it's not possible to record a bad version of "Across the Universe." At least, not that I've heard.

4. "The Last Polka [live]," Ben Folds
A solo live version of one his earlier masterpieces, from the Five's self-titled debut album. Really, Ben Folds Five is one of the best records of the last twenty years, and you should really, really own it if you don't already. This live version, though, is far less impressive.

5. "Under the Boardwalk," The Drifters
When I was in third grade, I kept my radio tuned to the oldies station at all times. Why? Because I'd seen Back to the Future, and desperately wanted to hear "Johnny B. Goode." They never did play it, not once all year. But I did get to hear lots and lots of awesome oldies tracks, including this one. Good times.

6. "All Within My Hands," Metallica
Hetfield's vocals are uneven throughout St. Anger, but it's clear he stopped giving a fuck by the time they got around to recording this one. He hits the right pitch only when he feels like it. And while I like the song, really I do, ending your album by shrieking "KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL!" over and over isn't exactly the mature way to go, you know what I mean?

7. "Gimme Shelter," The Rolling Stones
Oh, please please please work this song into Rock Band. The guitar lead is iconic, the drums are slick, and I can totally sing the vocal. In fact, I can even sing the girl's wailing part, too, if you give me enough space. Of course, my neighbors might then call the police. But hey, it'll be worth it.

8. "Take Me Out," Franz Ferdinand
Hey, it's another song from Guitar Hero. And I keep meaning to buy more Franz Ferdinand songs; I've heard three, and love all of them to death. Especially this one.

9. "Jumpin' Jack Flash," The Rolling Stones
Ooh! This one for Rock Band, too!

10. "Take It Off," The Donnas
Uh...huh. That's the third song from Guitar Hero in tonight's shuffle. I think my computer is sending me a message. I hope that message is "go play Guitar Hero," 'cause that's what I'm going to do.

1 comment:

  1. Search for "Across the Universe" cover on YouTube, and you will find no dearth of horrible recordings of this most hallowed song.

    ReplyDelete