Thursday, August 16, 2007

Um...well-said?

I'm listening to the newest release by Dave Matthews, a double-disc acoustic performance by Dave and his guitar virtuoso friend, Tim Reynolds, at New York's Radio City Music Hall. Now, Dave is crazy -- let there be no question about that -- but I wasn't quite prepared for his rambling introduction to "Oh," which kicks off the second disc:
The last time that Tim and I were here was the night that the war began. It's just interesting. It's funny, the night that it started -- some people were, some people were like -- [sigh] and other people were like "Yeah!" but it's funny that it does that to us. It's funny how war very rarely -- see, when it's just uncertain, when it's not so sure, like -- there's times in history when we're really sure about things. But this is a time when, for whatever -- whatever your belief is, this really is a time when we need to try and figure out a way to get it together with each other, you know, because we can't figure things out if we just turn our backs on each other. You know. "You're an idiot!" "No, you're an idiot!" "No, you're an idiot!" "No, you're an idiot!" "No, you're an idiot!" That shit goes on for a long damn time. I mean, I got good friends of mine that I love as deeply as, as any other friends of mine who look at me and say, "No, you're an idiot!" And I look at them and say, "No, you're an idiot!" But, you know, at least we're still friends, which is half the battle. We're not gonna kill each other any time soon, but we might feel like it. [gumblings that mimic two people fighting] "Fuck you!" "No, fuck you!" Yeah, you know, it's just fucking crazy. Anyway, I must say one thing: this song's about my grandfather, and he fought Rommel in North Africa, you know? They kicked some ass! Rommel was no pushover. You know, right at the front. There's evil people, but they still came weeping outta somebody's vagina.
Dave Matthews, ladies and gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment