Thursday, October 14, 2004

I forgot...

...to mention something during my off-the-cuff dissection of the debate.

I praised Bush on his answer on the question of faith. I think he gave (believe it or not) an honest answer. The reason I praised him was because it was only the two minutes of the entire hour and a half I didn't want to punch him for being so shamelessly misleading.

I also praised Kerry for his answer on a similar question. I actually agree with a good deal of Kerry's answer -- basically, he said, "I have my beliefs, and they're important to me and I live my life according to them, but neither I nor anyone else has the right to impose those beliefs on anybody else." Which made me want to stand up and applaud.

But I forgot to discuss the unfairness of the questions. Yes, they were similar. But here are the questions (direct quotations):

To Bush: "Mr. President, let's go to a new question. You were asked before the invasion, or after the invasion, of Iraq if you'd checked with your dad. And I believe, I don't remember the quote exactly, but I believe you said you had checked with a higher authority. I would like to ask you, what part does your faith play on your policy decisions?"

To Kerry: "Senator Kerry, a new question for you. The New York Times reports that some Catholic archbishops are telling their church members that it would be a sin to vote for a candidate like you because you support a woman's right to choose an abortion and unlimited stem-cell research. What is your reaction to that?"

What. The. Hell?

So Bush is basically offered an opportunity to tell America how faithful and religious he is, while Kerry is asked, "Is voting for you a sin?"

Yet another example of that hideous LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS.

...or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment