Friday, October 01, 2004

Debate #1: Kerry 1, Bush 0

That's my take on it, anyway. And, of course, I'm biased. But from my angle, it looked like Kerry destroyed Bush. Kerry was eloquent, knowledgable, and well-prepared. Bush was hesitant, repetitive, and stumbled and mumbled through perfunctory responses. And Kerry was finally able to shake off that idiotic "flip-flop" label the Bush camp had slapped on him, by simply and clearly stating his simple and clear position on Iraq. Bush, meanwhile, looked lost. His repeated attempts to bash Kerry for his "mixed messages" (Kerry says the war in Iraq is bad, which sends "mixed messages" to our troops, our allies, and the citizens, in that order, according to the Shrub) sounded stupid the first time...let alone the eight-sixth time. And it actually reminded me of an old Dilbert comic. Here's the jist of it, which I'm recalling from memory:

(The Pointy-Haired Boss approches Alice.)
Pointy-Haired Boss: "Alice, I understand you've been speaking to our Vice President without my consent. I can't have you do that. I don't want him getting mixed messages."
Alice: "I just gave him an honest assessment of what goes on in our department."
Pointy-Haired Boss: "MIXED MESSAGES!!!"

See, Bush, Kerry speaks the truth: the situation in Iraq is bad. And it's getting worse. As Kerry himself said tonight: "There were casualties in June than before. More casualites in July than in June. More in August than in July. More in September than in August." You sent us in without a plan, and -- surprise! -- everything's fallen apart right in your face. Now you're trying to paint pretty pictures on what's happening over there because admitting your mistakes might cost you points in the polls. Once again, you've put your own political gain ahead of the American people.

So, yes, Kerry is sending mixed messages. He's telling the truth. You're blowing sunshine up our ass. Personally, I'll take the truth.

Of course, that's just me. And I'm biased.

If you didn't see/hear the debate and are curious to know exactly what was said (not taking my word for it, since I'm so biased and everything), you can read the MSNBC transcript right here.

Now, we can get to the later debates, where -- hopefully -- Kerry will finally crush Bush like the intellectual cockroach that he is. My fingers are crossed.

And I would also like to point you toward the greatest site ever, www.georgewbush.org. It's the "Official Re-Selection Site for George Bush and Dick Cheney." Think The Onion, only entirely devoted to Bush. I love it.


sit down. stand up.
walk into the jaws of hell.
we can wipe you out anytime.
anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment