Thursday, October 23, 2003

In the fuzzy, depressed mental state in which I wrote my previous post, I neglected to mention my acquisition of the new Barenaked Ladies release, Everything to Everyone. It's the same Canadian goodness we've come to expect. And honestly, that's really a incredible accomplishment, when you consider the BNL style; there's a fine line between quirky goofiness and annoying juvenelia, and BNL's ability to land on the positive side of that line so consistently for fourteen-plus years now is truly impressive.

(Someone out there is reading this right now and thinking, "Fourteen years? Dude, was that chickity-china-the-chinese-chicken song fourteen years ago?" No. No no no. "One Week" may have big their biggest hit [in America, anyway], but it was by no means their first. Their first radio hit was "Be My Yoko Ono," back in 1989, and they were very popular in the Canadian club scene for some time before that. They are not one-hit wonders, despite what the clueless sales clerk at Wearhouse told me. Moron. Uh, anyway...what was I talking about?...oh, yeah....)

I've become particularly enamored with a song on the disc called "Upside Down." This may be my new favorite song of theirs...yes, I might like it more than "Alcohol" or "Box Set." I decided to submit the lyrics here for your approval.


I always knew it'd come to this
Sooner or later there must be another's kiss
Behind that kiss a promise of a life of bliss
Yeah, great -- I won't be taking the bait
I'd rather drown
And I will not turn my whole life upside down

Imagine everything you've done
Under a microscope on view for everyone
And if the King of Circumspection's here
He's come in vain -- I won't be sharing the blame
I wear the crown
And I will not turn my whole life upside down

Nothing's good enough for me
To shake me from complacency
I make my mind up and I'll never be...

The kind of man to make a choice
For if I hold my tongue, I'll never lose my voice
If each attempted act of sabotage destroys all hope
I won't be needing the rope
I'm gagged and bound
But I will not turn my whole life upside down

And if the genie was set free
And, by the laws of things like that, he's indebted to me
I'd bury my three wishes deep down in the ground
Cause I will not turn my whole life upside down

Though I appreciate the aim
Tell Andy Warhol's ghost that he can keep his fame
I'd only use to make everything the same again
So don't applaud 'til the end -- I'm not around
And I will not turn my whole life upside down

Nothing's good enough for me
To shake me from complacency
I've made my mind up -- I won't make a sound
And I will not turn my whole life upside down



Well, I like it. And you should, too. So go buy it. And yes, I mean buy it. And yes, I'm talking to you.

And if the clerk tells you that Barenaked Ladies are a one-hit wonder, clock him in the jaw. Moron.


I never though that you would love me
The way that you do
I never thought that you could love me
Half as much as I do

No comments:

Post a Comment