Saturday, February 17, 2007

Yay for me

Thanks to an unexpected financial surplus, I finally managed today to pick up the item for which I've been longing for about eight months: a 250GB external hard drive. As it turns out, iTunes was smart enough to handle the mass immigration of all 22.66 GB of my music almost entirely on its own, giving me a wide-open hard drive once again. So now I can reinstall all those computer programs and games I had deleted to make room for more Dave Matthews songs. Ah, The Movies, how I've missed you!

Of course, I don't have time to play any of those games. But who cares? I managed to fill my 30GB hard drive once, I can do it again!

I'm reminded of my first home computer, the one we bought back in 1994. It was brand-spanking new, a shining piece of home machinery that represented the leading edge in home PC technology. It was a 486DX, with Windows for Workgroups 3.11. My mother and I marveled at its enormous hard drive: 512 MB! Who could possibly use that much space in one lifetime?

Now, in 2007, I have more than 700 MB used up with Peter Gabriel mp3s alone. How the times change.

And, of course, there's a part of me that will someday soon regret not spending the extra cash to buy the 320GB drive. Stupid, stupid!

No comments: