Thursday, March 10, 2005

Oh, Mel, you so CRAZY...

Happened upon this quote earlier, from actor/director/looney toon Mel Gibson, on a banner ad for the recut version of The Passion of the Christ: "By softening some of its more wrenching aspects, I hope to make my film and its message of love available to a wider audience."

Uh, sure, Riggs. Whatever you say. I guess I missed your movie's "message of love" during the endless scenes of hate and torture and violence and death.

And to make sure you're aware, we're not talking about massive edits -- according to what I've read, five or six minutes of gore has been removed. Which doesn't mean much in a two-hour movie that had about 100 minutes of gore to begin with.

To me, it looks like a pathetic attempt to rake in some more cash on a movie that already made an insane amount of money to begin with. Seriously, if you want to cut your movie, fine, but why cram it back into theaters? Release it on DVD, like anyone else would.

In case you're curious, I'm not going to be viewing the edited version...assuming it gets shown in any theaters at all anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment