Friday, June 18, 2004

The problem with constant updates

I will say this: the Astros website is one of the most constantly updated sites I've ever seen. If you log on in the middle of a game, you'll find, right there on top of the page, a complete story with pictures and video of the first four innings of the game you're still watching.

But the constant chatter can sometimes be taken to ridiculous lengths -- do we really need five different stories on the Richard Hidalgo trade? I mean, I can tell you everything right here:
  • Hidalgo has been traded to the Mets in exchange for relief pitcher David Weathers (5-3, 4.28 ERA) and some other minor league pitcher whose name escapes me.
  • Jason Lane will take Hidalgo's job in right field.
  • The Astros regret seeing Hidalgo leave, but wish him the best and are glad that Lane will get regular playing time now.
...And that's it. I didn't need five sentences to get through all that, let alone five stories. Those MLB writers need a hobby.

33-32, five and a half out. Four game losing streak. Lost six of our last seven, 21 of our last 33. That optimism I reserve solely for major league baseball is getting harder and harder to stick with.

But then, it's only June 18. There are still 97 games left to play. I think we're still in it.

For now, anyway.

got a bullet, but it ain't mine

No comments:

Post a Comment