Friday, June 11, 2004

If there is a weblog on the net, and no one reads it, does it really exist?

Hey.

I stopped updating because I lost internet access at my house. But since I come to the library and get online pretty much every day, no reason for me not to update anymore. So consider this my grand return to the stage of my weblog. The weblog no one reads. The Phantom Menace?

Let's see, let's see...what to talk about...

MOVIES
Here's what I've seen so far this year. Not a lot, I know. In order of quality.

Kill Bill, Vol. 2 -- Better than the first one, though it took me two viewings to confirm that. Tarantino is some kind of scary genius. *****

Secret Window -- One of the few times when alterations made in the film adaptation of a book actually enhance the story rather than the other way around. And Depp is great. ***1/2

Shrek 2 -- Yes, I liked it, and no one was more surprised than me. Antonio Banderas is my new hero. And see what happens when you make a kid's movie without fart jokes? Do you? ***1/2

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban -- At times, a thing of beauty. At others, the movie has to grind to a halt for rote exposition in order to get through the plot, which is somewhat complicated, especially for something aimed at such a young audience. But to say that this is a step above the first two is a vast understatement. As my favorite critic, MaryAnn Johanson, put it best, I liked the other two because they were Harry Potter. I like this one because it great. ***1/2

The Butterfly Effect -- It makes no fucking sense whatsoever, but it's a blast in its own goofy kinda way. Gets a few points from me for not being as horrible as I feared. **

The Day After Tomorrow -- Ooooh...look at the pretty CGI....huh? Story? What story? *1/2

The Chronicles of Riddick -- See previous. And the one before it, actually. *1/2

The Passion of the Christ -- I have said all I want to say about this movie. May we all just pretend it never existed. *

...and that's it. Yeah, I'm slacking.

BASEBALL
The Astros are going to give me a heart attack, I swear.

Currently: 32-26, third place, game and a half back. Kent is on fire, The Killer B's are doing great, and Roger Clemens (9-0, 2.08 ERA?!) is simply inhuman. Everyone else? Ensberg, without a homerun in June? Oswalt and Miller pitching like drunken impostors of themselves? Pettite's arm falling off? Hidalgo playing like he's on smack?

My blood pressure rises just thinking about it.

MUSIC
...I got nuthin'.

That's it, I guess. For now. The updates shalt commence from here on, I suppose. Can't say how often.

so close, not matter how far

No comments:

Post a Comment