Friday, February 14, 2003

After months and months of waiting, my copy of Scott Keith's Tonight...In This Very Ring arrived via UPS. If you are at all interested in professional wrestling in any way, I highly recommend picking it up. It's a fun, fast read, immensely entertaining (which is particularly notable considering that I already knew 99.2% of the information contained in the book). I can't stand to watch the WWF -- err, excuse me WWE these days, but I can still read Scott Keith's stuff.

So I give the book ****1/2, a clear improvement over his previous effort, The Buzz on Professional Wrestling, which was good enough as a history book, but in attempting to be objective, Keith became oddly distanced from the subject matter, and smothered his own brash, hilarious writing style, which I why I read him in the first place.

(I should note that the star rating I use to rate movies was stolen directly from the wrestling world, and more specifically, from Scott Keith. Credit where credit is due, and all that happy horseshit.)

But all that stuff is perfectly intact here, along with a seemingly unending series of jokes at the expense of HHH, which is always welcome. For wrestling fans, it's a must-read; for non-fans, it's still a great, funny look at the bizarre Kingdom That Vince Built.

No comments:

Post a Comment